I bought a whole pile of vintage patterns this summer and have been trying to work my way through them. From this pattern loot I’ve sewn Sweet Pea some shorts and a tank top, then some shorts for me from the same pattern, Bubba received a new shirt, and finally I am making my way to the dresses. I have about 8 vintage dress patterns I want to sew up, so here is my first go!
I sewed this pattern up quickly, but looked at the directions and thought, who needs that many darts? There were two sets of darts in the front, and then two sets of darts in the back. So I omitted all of the darts, tried the dress on, and realized I looked like I was wearing a hospital gown. I could easily add in two of the darts without taking the dress apart, so I added one set of darts to the front (from the waist up to the bust) and then one set of darts in the back. It looked okay…Josh gave it a thumbs up, so I wore it out all day yesterday.
There were a few things that bothered me so when I got home, I changed right away and cut all of the seams apart. It only took me about an hour to cut the dress apart and add the extra darts, and now I can say I think this dress is great! It is made out of a knit that I found at the thrift store for 25 cents (for about 4 yards of knit). And now I can tell you, I need all of those darts. They give this dress shape and make every seam sit nicely. It even has shoulder darts, which I had never seen before (except Andrea posted a photo of a dress she made this week showing off her shoulder darts).